Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 10:00:19 -0400
From:      Alex Heiphetz <heiphetz@cvzoom.net>
To:        Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>, Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 100% dependability/failsafe/security/hardware

Thanks to all who replied to my original post.
Please, see below....
At 01:46 AM 5/26/99 +0200, Juergen Nickelsen wrote:
>--On Die, 25. Mai 1999 11:39 -0400 Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
>wrote:
>The goal should be, as you said, "acceptable downtime".

That's part of the question. What would be "acceptable downtime"
for a financial service that, say, processes credit cards for other
web sites in real time? Honestly, I don't know. What are failsafe
requirements for this type of service? I probably should have
mentioned it beforehand, but that's what I'm looking for.
Also, nobody mentioned another part of the question:
"brand-name" firewall software vs. ipfw. I know ipfw, but have
no idea what  "brand-name" firewall software offer that would
assure better security.
Also, any recommendations on RAID manufacturers?
Juergen Nickelsen in his first post mentioned that FreeBSD
won't run on that fantastic computer in the weather center.
What do they run? I have experience with SCO, HP-UX, Sun and
Linux :-) and I won't say that any of those is more robust or secure
than FreeBSD (given equal hardware "horsepower").

Thanks, I do appreciate your advice.
A.Heiphetz