Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:56:47 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stewart Morgan <stewart@wakko.visint.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Comments in the NIS master.passwd file

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Andre Albsmeier wrote:

> > >Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:05:25 +0100 (BST)
> > >From: Stewart Morgan <stewart@wakko.visint.co.uk>
> >
> > >	We've got a rather large master.passwd file which we used to quite
> > >happily break up into managable blocks with comments (ie lines beginning
> > >with a '#'). This works fine with the password routines like pwd_mkdb from
> > >2.2.6/7-stable.
> >
> > >	Recently, we've moved over to NIS which moans about the comments, lots!
> > >The question is, why hasn't NIS been patched to ignore commenting like
> > >practically every other configuration file? Or has this already been delt
> > >with in -current and if not, could it be?
> >
> > Dunno about -current, but it seems to me that if this is an issue for
> > you, a small modification to /var/yp/Makefile (to strip the "comments"
> > from the MASTER file before doing anything else with the information)
> > would seem to be in order.
>
> I tried this also a while ago but fell over rpc.yppasswdd...
>
> 	-Andre

	Well, I did try fiddling with the Makefile, but as Andre has pointed
out, rpc.yppasswdd doesn't like it...

	I had sucessfully altered it in such a way that it would generate a
master.passwd.stripped from the master.passwd - this works fine until you
want to change somebody's password...

	So, after a little investigation (rpc.yppasswdd(8)), I thought I'd edit
the /usr/libexec/yppwupdate script which installs the changes. However, this is
called _after_ rpc.yppasswdd has attempted to modify the master.passwd file
-- the point where rpc.yppasswdd fails.

Stewart Morgan
Systems Administrator

Vision Interactive Ltd