Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:19:06 -0600
From:      Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlists@HotPOP.com>
To:        Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
Cc:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Subject:   Re: Daemon's Advocate article

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:09:33 -0800
Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 29 February 2004 02:21 pm, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> > http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200402/dadvocate.html
> >
> > I found the article very interesting.
> >
> > What do you all think?  What is being done to keep BSD from ending
> > up where Greg says it might be going - suitable only for
> > developers?
>
> What is being done? Nothing. I get the impression that no one "in
> charge" is the slightest bit concerned about the FreeBSD user. This
> is most notable on the desktop side, but it extends to any user.
> There's this attitude that if you want something in FreeBSD, you
> must do it yourself.

:/  The big problem is there is needed a desktop distro... and a good
gtk+ front end to the ports, rc.conf, and sysctl.

/me will begin work on this probally when he has time, but has been
meaning to get around to it for awhile but has had massive time
problems...

Sorta would be fun thought... I personally like the idea of it would
tick of ppl of certian os communities that love to make fbsd out to be
impossible to use and learn...

> The lack of commercialization doesn't help either. I think this is
> the only long term advantage Linux has over the BSDs. Who pays
> people to work on the boring and dreary stuff? Who pays for that new
> piece of hardware so a driver can be written sometime before it
> becomes obsolete? (I think this situation will turn around as
> FreeBSD gains users and becomes noticed by hardware vendors, just
> like what happened to Linux about four years ago).

Si, I think we will start to see more and more support in the next few
years as unix like systems begin to take the spot light agian.

> I'm a desktop user. I have noticed more than once some active
> disdain towards the desktop by FreeBSD developers. Why is this? Did
> I miss the sign out front saying "servers only"? You don't have to
> be a dumb-downed system like Lindows to be suitable for the desktop.

I think the aim a few years or so ago was to target server use
first... atleast from a bit I've heard... no clue thought...