Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:10:22 GMT
From:      "C. Weber" <cwf-ml@arcor.de>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/95165: Please reopen this PR: (was: 6.1 Beta 4 ISO (386) fails upgrade and destroys old install)

The following reply was made to PR i386/95165; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "C. Weber" <cwf-ml@arcor.de>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, christoph.weber-fahr@arcor.net
Subject: Re: i386/95165: Please reopen this PR: (was: 6.1 Beta 4 ISO (386)
 fails upgrade and destroys old install)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:09:15 +0200

 Hello,

 please repone this PR. I gave it another hour, cloned
 one of my 5.4-RELEASE-p12 images and tested with that.

 And - suprise - the exact same error happened there, too.

 I didn't bother to check if X.org install fails there,
 too, but I wouldn't be surprised, either.

 As for those funny peole who try to convince me that
 /usr/src/UPDATING for version 6.1 should be read
 by someone before attempting to binary upgrade
 something else to that level, this logic is faulty on
 multiple levels. First, before the upgrade you do
 not have that file, second, it only talks about
 source upgrades (if I wanted to do those in this case
 I wouldn't go for binary) and third, a simple RTFM
 as an answer to a legitimate installation program
 option resulting in complete loss of data is
 simply unacceptable.

 Yes. we expect software to do the Right Thing -
 which it does not do here in any conceivable way.
 The Right Thing here is either to upgrade the system
 or to claim incompetence and refuse to do anything.

 Regards

 Christoph Weber-Fahr