Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:36:05 -0400
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@FreeBSD.org>
To:        pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com
Cc:        Diomidis Spinellis <dds@aueb.gr>, Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>, Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CFT: BSD-licensed grep [Fwd: cvs commit: ports/textproc/bsdgrep Makefile distinfo]

--=-EkxF5O26qPfyfHBM7LR5

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 11:25 -0700, pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com wrote:
> --- Mer 18/6/08, Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org> ha scritto:
>=20
> > No, "here is a new bsd grep, but change all your
> > scripts that have=20
> > relied on legitimate behavior of grep in the past" is
> > a non-starter. I=20
> > haven't checked POSIX to see whether the particular
> > construction I am=20
> > using fits the spec or not, but I really don't care. We
> > need to be=20
> > feature-compatible with the GNU versions of these tools,
> > both for=20
> > legacy scripts and also for those users migrating over from
> > linux.
> >=20
>=20
> OK, I probably exaggerated in that GNUisms are not all that bad. Let's lo=
ok at it this way.. the problem is in regex so I don't see fit to start ada=
pting ugly workarounds in BSD grep. If we really *need* the workaround I wa=
nt to be able to ifdef it out for my own testing purposes.
>=20
> By all means we will still need a GNU grep port available so we can have =
the best from both worlds (I already a port and sent it to Gabor for testin=
g but I don't want to maintain it).
>=20
> Pedro.
>=20

I agree that the regex lib is a better place to apply such a fix.

--=20
Coleman Kane

--=-EkxF5O26qPfyfHBM7LR5

--=-EkxF5O26qPfyfHBM7LR5--