Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2008 14:48:46 -0500
From:      "David Robillard" <david.robillard@gmail.com>
To:        "Robert Fitzpatrick" <lists@webtent.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: compiling kernel with PAE

> Getting an error when trying to compile a kernel on 5.4 and 6.2 with the
> PAE option. I've tried NO_MODULES in make.conf as well...
>
> se2 -ffreestanding -Werror  /usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c
> /usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c: In function `adv_action':
> /usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c:260: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WEBTENT.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
>
> This is a custom kernel build with the QUOTA option, I take out the PAE
> option and all makes fine. I did a src-all update with RELENG_VER tag
> prior to building. I assume this is a driver issue compatible with PAE?
>
> Also, can I run amd64 release on this Intel Xeon dual proc with 6GB RAM?
> Thinking about loading 6.3 amd64 if possible. Excuse my ignorance, I am
> not a hardware guy, I am a programmer.
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz (3000.12-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf41  Stepping = 1
>   Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,C
> MOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>   Features2=0x641d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,CNTX-ID,CX16,<b14>>
>   AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
>   Logical CPUs per core: 2

According to http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64.html the Intel
Xeon (3000-sequence, 5000-sequence, and 7000-sequence) processors use
the Intel(R)64 architecture.
Therefore if your Intel Xeon is in the 3000-sequence, 5000-sequence or
7000-sequence, then you can use FreeBSD/amd64 and use the memory above
4Gb. IMHO it should be more simple and efficient than compiling a
kernel with PAE support.

HTH,

David
--