Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 14:27:22 +0100
From:      Konstantin Chuguev <Konstantin.Chuguev@dante.org.uk>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, demon@FreeBSD.org, gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: devel/gettext upgrade [patch]

Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Since I did not receive any response from demon regarding my
> comments on his patch I've picked up the ball and did the work
> by myself. Attached please find resulting patch, please review
> it and let me know what do you think. Following are major changes
> compared to demon's version:
>
> - GNU iconv library used instead of BSD iconv. Unfortunately
>   due to some strange reason gettext doesn't work with BSD
>   iconv. For example when I'm defining LANG env. variable to
>   ru_RU.KOI8-R I see `____' instead of Russian messages in
>   all localised programs linked against libintl. This problem
>   disappears when GNU iconv is used instead. I hope Konstantin
>   will look into this problem and provide a fix before his
>   BSD iconv will be imported into base system;

I'd like to see some details. In the current implementation, '_' is used for
characters non-existent in a destination charset. Conversion is completely
locale-independent, i.e. always produces the same result for particular pair
(src_charset, dst_charset), no matter what LANG and LC_* are set to.
I believe this is something to do with gettext's use of iconv. Where can I
get the new gettext to look at?

> - PLIST is now sorted properly;
>
> - charset.alias now being installed into libdata/ where it
>   belongs instead of lib/;

Here is another thing: iconv also uses (its own) charset.aliases. I wonder if
it would be useful to merge them into one file...

Regards,
    Konstantin.

--
          * *        Konstantin Chuguev - Application Engineer
       *      *              Francis House, 112 Hills Road