Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:34:11 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>, "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <gaijin.k@gmail.com>, freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org, martinko <gamato@users.sf.net>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is the C3 possible with SMP?

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008, Kevin Oberman wrote:
 > > From: martinko <gamato@users.sf.net>
 > >
 > > Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:

That'll be Watts, for sure.  13 Amps would be somewhere between ~120W
and ~180W depending on the battery voltage, and 36 Amps (below) would be
400W or more .. handy, maybe, for cooking breakfast on your touchpad :)

 > > > You would not happen to have USB loaded or built into kernel? If you do,
 > > > you will practically never go into C3. What does
 > > >
 > > > sysctl dev.cpu | grep cx_usage
 > > >
 > > > say?
 > > >

 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > My laptop reports C1 state only:
 > >
 > > $ sysctl -a | grep cx_
 > > hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
 > > dev.cpu.0.cx_supported: C1/1
 > > dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest: C1
 > > dev.cpu.0.cx_usage: 100.00%
 > >
 > > But this is Pentium-M and I remember it could use C2 and C3 back with
 > > 5.x kernel and I'm sure I had USB as I have now.
 > >
 > > Do you have any idea why I don't have C2/C3 states available anymore ??
 >
 > Under 7-Stable, my Pentium-M system (ThinkPad T43) shows C1, C2, and
 > C3. Of course, it's not an SMP.
 > dev.cpu.0.cx_supported: C1/1 C2/1 C3/85
 > dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest: C1
 > dev.cpu.0.cx_usage: 100.00% 0.00% 0.00%
 >
 > cx_supported has nothing to do with the value of cx_lowest. It should
 > simply be what the CPU reports back vi ACPI as to the C states supported
 > on the platform.

Well, except that cx_supported shows the possible values for cx_lowest;
ie you can only select a value for cx_lowest that's in cx_supported ..
so it does seem odd that martinko's cx_supported has been limited to C1?

Whether the system ever actually uses the cx_lowest value you select,
other than C1, is another matter of course.  My T23 (P3-M, 7.0-R) allows
selection of C3, but only ever uses it if the machine was booted up on
battery(!) but that might be a BIOS/EC bug that upgrading these may fix.

cheers, Ian