Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:51:50 -0500
From:      David La Croix <dlacroix@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yes!!! Netscape and Java for BSDI

Has anyone else noticed the following behavior (and suggest a fix?)

I have a 1 Meg S3-911 card and can't run X in anything more than 8bpp

when I try to run the new netscape, it runs fine, but when I try to load
a java applet (any java applet) it doesn't seem to even try to run it.
I can display remotely and java applets work, however I tried the same thing
on my roomate's computer with Accellerated X in 8bpp mode and it
exhibited the same symptoms.

Looks like Netscape foobared 8 bit support somehow when the added support
for greater depths.