Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:40:17 -0500
From:      Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        Robert Fitzpatrick <robert@webtent.com>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: slow clock on FreeBSD 7.2 on vmware

On 12/17/09 16:23, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> The "kern.hz=100" recommendation I can certainly agree with, but there is mostly no point in running ntpd or variants anywhere except on the host machine ("host ESX" for VMware, or Dom0 for Xen).  For VMware, the vmtools stuff should provide a mechanism to sync time in VMs to the host clock.

I haven't used Xen, but for ESX: I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure
that the vmtools available for FreeBSD do not support synchronizing the
host time to the guest OS.  I know it is supported (and works) for
Linux, but by what mechanism I do not know.  On OpenBSD the kernel can
be built to present a device which will use the "synchronize time with
guest" feature of VMware to provide a clock source which can be
specified in ntpd.conf.

Perhaps you're right and all it takes is the switch in ESX.  I've
disabled ntpd on one of my VMs and I'll see if it drifts any by tomorrow.