Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 23:58:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        lyndon@ve7tcp.ampr.org
Cc:        john@mailhost.cas.unt.edu, skafte@worldgate.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3com 3C509B Combo card

> Okay, I'm stumped. I've run 509B's (and plain old 509's) since they
> came out, in a lot of busy production critical servers, running FreeBSD
> and just about anything else for x86 that networked. I've found them to
> be nothing but rock solid reliable.
> Do we know who originated the "buggy" comment in the kernel config?
> Would someone like to volunteer to track back through CVS and see
> who originated it? Would the originator care to explain the comment?
> Personally, I think the whole "buggy" statement is bogus, and has been
> for quite some time. Lacking evidence to the contrary the comment should
> be squelched before this business of buggy 509's reaches the status
> of urban legend :-)

I can personally vouch that the 3C509 driver in -current was buggy
at the year's beginning.

At the beginning of the year, I installed a small LAN in my apartment:
one W95 machine with a SVEC FD0290, and one FreeBSD machine with a
509.  I never had usable network operations.  A tcpdump showed that
pings (and other packets) would not show as being returned until the
ping process ended.  (Simultanious pings would show responses from
each when that process ended.)  At that point, the appropriate number
of ECHO_REPLYs would be generated.  The computers operated normally
when both were running Windows 95.

I switched to an NE2000 clone and it worked fine.

I haven't repeated the experiment since the recent changes in if_ep.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan