Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 15:13:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      michael@blueneptune.com
To:        dan@dpcsys.com (Dan Busarow)
Cc:        mheath@netspace.net.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there still problems with Adaptec UW controllers (fwd)

Here are some more details about our particular case of having problems
with FreeBSD and (apparently) the Adaptec UW controller:

Hardware configuration:

	CPU:  AMD K6 CPU
	Motherboard:  ASUS XP55T2P4 ATX  w/512K cache
	PCI Chipset: Intel's 430 HX
	Memory: 64 MB
	SCSI Controller: Adaptec 2940UW
	Disk: Seagate ST34371W

The system was running the latest version of INN.

There were numerous log messages indicating a SCSI bus timeout.  Then
the system would hang.  This is apparently consistent with earlier
reports of the problems with the Adaptec controllers.

The problem was seen on 2.2.2-RELEASE, and on an early August
engineering release.  (I don't have the exact date available.)

Backing off to FreeBSD 2.1.7 solved the problem --- the system has been
up for over a week now, whereas before it was crashing after very
little uptime.

We no longer have the detailed log information, and obviously won't
be able to get it with the system running 2.1.7.  [Yeah, I know, we
should have saved the logged info.  Sorry about that.]

--
Michael Bryan
michael@blueneptune.com