Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 19:42:39 +1000
From:      Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@mail.hiwaay.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bad144 missing?

david and all who sent me email,

thank you for your responces and support, i apreciate your
candor and assistance.

one other thing, i have been offered a pair of adaptec
aha-1542b scsi host adapters to plug into the isa bus of my
i386dx33's, also i have been given a pair of i486dx33 with 16
mb dram.

i will be able to use my 386's as tinybsd platforms (a router
and one for backup) with the two i486dx33's as the 'servers'.

i've also gotten a pair of pci scsi host adapters (an adaptec
2940uw and a buslogic bt940-fastwide-ultra) and parts of a pair
of soon to be pentium pro based servers .. just gotta get some
processors and dram.

as a freind of mine said to me once 'see, jonathan, thier are
still some good people in the freebsd world'.

well i'd better sign off now .. finally a warm thank you to
those who wernt frightend off by teh jonathan michaels byeline
and wrote with constructive suggestions, as well as the offers
of hardware. thier are some dozen or so disabled people (aprt
from myself) who apreciate the assistance rendered.

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 12:12:29PM -0500, David Kelly wrote:
> > Accidentally, I've found out that /usr/sbin/bad144 in my fbsd 4.0
> > is dated by December, and there is no bad144 in /usr/src.
> > So, has it disappeared?
> >
> > I have a HDD with bad blocks, how do I find all of them and mark them?
> > I've done newfs, then fsck, fsck reports
> >   CANNOT READ: BLK 1114288 CONTINUE? [yn]
> > several times. Apparently, fsck won't mark the blocks it can't read as bad,
> > and therefore some data will be written there and then lost.
> > Am I missing something? How could I achieve functionality
> > that earlier was provided by bad144?
>
> Use badsect(8) to create files(s) containing the bad blocks.

noted and diarised, with thanks.

warm regards

jonathan