Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2015 19:16:59 -0600
From:      Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
To:        Kim Shrier <kim@westryn.net>
Cc:        Davide Italiano <davide@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: default pager (csh)

Kim Shrier <kim@westryn.net> wrote:
> > On Feb 18, 2015, at 4:41 PM, Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net> wrote:

> > On 02/18/15 15:18, Davide Italiano wrote:
> >> Hi, one of the first things I do when I install FreeBSD is to
> >> switch the default PAGER from more(1) to less(1). This is
> >> particularly convenient, e.g. while using git diff, to show
> >> something more readable. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason
> >> why more(1) is still the default, and/or is this just historical?
> >
> > The _only_ reason that I can think of is that more(1) does not clear
> > screen for certain terminals (done with 'ti' and 'te' sequences),
> > while less(1) when running as less does.
> >
> > The less(1) behavior can be annoying to some people (sometimes even
> > myself when using less to show contents of a file and ^Z to paste
> > them), and unfortunately quite a few of them also happen to be the
> > more vocal ones when it comes to a change.
> >
> Being one of those people who strongly prefer using more, I vote
> against this change.  Also, it is easier to scroll back in a terminal
> window using more.  Every system I use, if it defaults the PAGER
> to less, I change it to more.

I think the defaults of both programs on FreeBSD are suboptimal.  I prefer
more with MORE=-eF, which fixes the man page issue mentioned earlier.

This is clearly a personal preference item; we won't get it "right" for
everyone.  However, anyone who can use git can definitely switch pagers.

Trivia: the version of more on BSD systems actually is derived from less,
not the original version of more.

		Mike