Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:00:02 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "P. U. Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where can I find libgcc_s.so.1 ?

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 11:09:02AM +0200, P. U. Kruppa wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>=20
> > On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 03:36:41AM +0200, P. U. Kruppa wrote:
> >
> > > Where can I find libgcc_s.so.1 ?
> > > (mozilla1.4rc2 seems to need it to run Sun's java plugin)
> >
> > Assuming that you're trying to run the FreeBSD native mozilla,
> I am afraid, the assumption is not correct :-)
>=20
> I am trying the latest linux-binaries (1.4rc2) from mozilla.org
> in linux compatibility mode (1.4rc1 works fine).
> 1.4rc2 now needs a new version of of the java runtime enviroment
> which was compiled with gcc32 (j2re-1_4_2-beta-linux-i586.bin)
> which I installed and linked to my plugin directory.

Now, why didn't you mention that in your original post?  Help stamp
out guesswork!
=20
> When I start mozilla from xterm I can see a request for
> libgcc_s.so.1 and the jre is not detected in mozilla's plugin
> manager.
>=20
> So I wonder where this file should come from.

You would need to install a Linux package of gcc-3.2 --- if you're
using the emulators/linux_base port, all of the standard linux stuff
you have installed is based on RedHat 7.1, so grabbing a .rpm from one
of the RedHat sites would probably be your best course of action.
Make sure you add '--root /compat/linux --dbpath /var/lib/rpm --nodeps
--replacepkgs --ignoreos --ignorearch' to the rpm command line.  Make
sure to get the '--root' path right, or you may trash the system gcc,
which could be a very tricky thing to recover from.

Of course, you're going off into uncharted territory here: no
guarrantee that this will work correctly without severe hackery.  Good
luck.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

PS. There's an alternative of using linux_base-debian, which provides
much the same sort of facility as linux_base, but based on the Debian
"woody" distribution and using .deb rather than .rpm files. If it
doesn't work with .rpm's you could try .deb's, but I do rather doubt
that will actually get you anywhere.

--=20
                                                      Savill Way

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM