Date:      Sat, 30 Apr 2016 13:05:41 +0530
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, dalescott@shaw.ca
Subject:   Re: Why is FreeBSD+GNOME not working on my Pentium laptop ?

On 04/30/16 12:14, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 04:26:47 +0530, Manish Jain wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a 5 year old Intel x86 Pentium-based laptop (Gateway NE56R). I
>> just finished installing FreeBSD 10.3 (i386) with Gnome on it. I was
>> expecting everything to go smoothly but the Gnome desktop is proving to
>> be a disaster.
> This also was my first impression when installing Gnome 2 ("classic
> Gnome desktop") on a Dell D630 laptop running FreeBSD i386 10.2 (started
> with 10.0). There was some work to do, things to update and to install,
> scripts to abuse, crazy things to do... but after that, everything
> worked as intended. Sadly I didn't take notes on what I did, but I can
> assure you that most of it was not obvious, logical, or acceptable. :-/
>
> How did you install Gnome? Ports or packages? Which version?
>

>> Most of the desktop is trash, half the application icons
>> are missing and there are no panels.
> You probably are missing some important dependency packages.
>

>> Even keyboard input typed into
>> gnome-terminal is not displayed correctly (some of the characters in the
>> echo go missing).
> That _really_ sounds strange.
>

>> All necessary entries (hald_enable, polkitd_enable,
>> dbus_enable, gnome_enable) are set to YES in rc.conf. I wonder what is
>> wrong ?
> Using Gnome is wrong. ;-)
>

>> Is there any way I can get FreeBSD and Gnome working on the laptop ?
> Reconsider using Gnome. Check if Lxde or Xfce will work better for you.

Thanks for replying.

I installed bash and the xorg meta-port from sources and then gnome3 via
'pkg install gnome3'. Logically, all dependencies should have been met.
The funny part is FreeBSD 10.1 was working well on the laptop earlier.
So this should have been just a simple version upgrade. But things are
not going as expected. Any tips ?

As for PC-BSD, I tried it a couple of months back and was entirely
underwhelmed. So that is a No Go.

Regards,

Manish Jain