Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:06:26 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
Cc:        Omer Faruk Sen <omerfsen@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs root partition boot?

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 04:04:38PM -0700, Tim Judd wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Omer Faruk Sen <omerfsen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can I use zfs on / using FreeBSD 7.1?  I also use
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/<http://people.freebsd.org/%7Erse/mirror/>script to create mirror is
> > there such a a tool for ZFS to use on Fbsd 7.1?
> >
> > Regards.
> >

> Are you sure you want to do this?
> ZFS is still marked an experimental feature last time I checked; and if
> FreeBSD decides to kill ZFS support, you'll be stuck with a unbootable
> disk.

That doesn't make sense.   Just because they might terminate upgrade
support for it in some future version doesn't mean the disk will
suddenly become unreadable.    Just as in any upgrade that involves
a change from one file system to another, you may have to dump the
stuff on the old one and read it in to the new one if you do the
upgrade.   But the old one will not magically stop working.  You will
be able to recover your data from the old system.

> I'd stick with the more mature, tested methods like gmirror or
> gvinum.  Nothing beats a hardware raid though.

Although ZFS is probably more mature than you are making it sound here,
it is true that gmirror is becoming very reliable and servicable.

So, either will probably work.   Your choice depends on what you want
to accomplish.

////jerry