Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 14:41:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   current kernel breakage

I recently recompiled my kernel with the following kernel config file, and
now when I boot up, I get about halfway through probing, and the computer
freezes, accepting no keyboard input or anything else but a hard reset
(reset button) here is my kernel Config file..

#
# GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
#
# For more information on this file, please read the handbook section on
# Kernel Configuration Files:
#
#    http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html
#
# The handbook is also available locally in /usr/share/doc/handbook
# if you've installed the doc distribution, otherwise always see the
# FreeBSD World Wide Web server (http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/) for the
# latest information.
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is also present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
# in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.
#
#	$Id: GENERIC,v 1.178 1999/07/25 04:32:43 wpaul Exp $

machine		i386
cpu		I686_CPU
ident		"MYKERNEL"
maxusers	64

#makeoptions	DEBUG=-g		#Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

options 	INET			#InterNETworking
options 	FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options 	FFS_ROOT		#FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options 	PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options 	COMPAT_43		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options 	UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console
options         SYSVSHM			#SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG			#SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM			#SYSV-style semaphores
options		SC_DISABLE_REBOOT
options		SOFTUPDATES

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
#options 	SMP			# Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#options 	APIC_IO			# Symmetric (APIC) I/O
# Optionally these may need tweaked, (defaults shown):
#options 	NCPU=2			# number of CPUs
#options 	NBUS=4			# number of busses
#options 	NAPIC=1			# number of IO APICs
#options 	NINTR=24		# number of INTs

controller	isa0
controller	pnp0			# PnP support for ISA
controller	pci0

# Floppy drives
controller	fdc0	at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0

controller ata0
device atadisk0
device atapicd0

# SCSI Controllers
# A single entry for any of these controllers (ncr, ahb, ahc) is
# sufficient for any number of installed devices.
controller	scbus0		# SCSI bus (required)
device		da0		# Direct Access (disks)

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
controller	atkbdc0	at isa? port IO_KBD
device		atkbd0	at atkbdc? irq 1
device		psm0	at atkbdc? irq 12

device		vga0	at isa? port ? conflicts

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device	splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc0	at isa?

# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
#device		vt0	at isa?
#options 	XSERVER			# support for X server
#options 	FAT_CURSOR		# start with block cursor
# If you have a ThinkPAD, uncomment this along with the rest of the PCVT lines
#options 	PCVT_SCANSET=2		# IBM keyboards are non-std

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device		npx0	at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
device		apm0    at nexus? flags 0x31 # Advanced Power Management

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
#controller	card0
#device		pcic0	at card?
#device		pcic1	at card?

# Serial (COM) ports
device		sio0	at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device		sio1	at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3

# Parallel port
device		ppc0	at isa? port? flags 0x40 irq 7
controller	ppbus0		# Parallel port bus (required)
device		lpt0		# Printer
device		plip0		# TCP/IP over parallel
device		ppi0		# Parallel port interface device
controller	vpo0		# Requires scbus and da0

# PCI Ethernet NICs.
device		de0		# DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocated.
pseudo-device	loop		# Network loopback
pseudo-device	ether		# Ethernet support
pseudo-device	sl	1	# Kernel SLIP
pseudo-device	ppp	1	# Kernel PPP
pseudo-device	tun	1	# Packet tunnel, for ppp(1)
pseudo-device	pty	16	# Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device	gzip		# Exec gzipped a.out's

# The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the legal and administrative consequences of enabling this!
pseudo-device	bpf	4	#Berkeley packet filter

#tv card
controller smbus0
controller iicbus0
controller iicbb0
device bktr0

#sound

pcm0 at isa? port ? irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0

if anyone can help, let me know. Thanks.

Kenneth Culver