Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:09:34 -0500
From:      Damian Wiest <dwiest@vailsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing Oracle Client 10g on FreeBSD

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 10:59:34PM +0200, martinko wrote:
> Mike Friedman wrote:
> > I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE and I want to run a current Oracle
> > client-only with encryption support.
> >
> > First, I installed the Oracle client port, which represents Oracle 7.
> > But my database support person tells me that's quite old and, in fact,
> > he couldn't be sure it would work (especially the encryption part) with
> > the Oracle database I'd be using (which he helps support).  And I was
> > getting some strange symptoms when I tested it.
> >
> > So, he recommended that I download the Oracle 10g Client for Linux.
> > Since my FreeBSD system is configured for Linux compatibility, I'm
> > hoping this will work.  However, I can't even get the Installer to
> > complete!  It keeps telling me that I may not have enough space in my
> > root partition, even though I'm not trying to install into the root
> > partition.  (The partition in which I'm installing has lots of space).
> >
> > In addition, I should say that the machine on which this Oracle client
> > will be installed is not running X Windows.  This means I can't use the
> > installation menus, so I've been running the Installation tool with a
> > 'response file'.  The response file, however, doesn't have much
> > flexibility.  In particular, when I'm told I may not have enough space,
> > it asks me if I want to continue, but there's no way for me to reply
> > 'yes' from the response file.
> >
> > In any case, based on the installation logs, it really looks like the
> > Installation tool is looking at the root partition for how much space is
> > available.
> >
> > I've found in the FreeBSD handbook an article on installing Oracle 8.0.
> > But it appears that there have been changes with 10g.  Also, those
> > instructions seem to assume a server install, so they talk about setting
> > some shared memory values and other things that may not apply to me anyway.
> >
> > Do I have any other options?  I don't want to install the full Oracle
> > package (client and server), just the client, so that I can write some
> > perl scripts to query a remote Oracle database.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Mike, have you considered linux-oracle-instantclient-* ports ?

If all you want to do is use Perl to access the database, then why are
you bothering with Oracle's client software?  Just use the CPAN module
to build and install DBD::Oracle.

Just curious, but how were you able to perform a silent install wihout
a frame buffer?  I ran into this problem installing Oracle 9i, but used
xvfb as a workaround.

-Damian