Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 02:46:32 -0500
From:      Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   GNOME, GTK, and Ports

I'm currently in the process of doing 'make' in /usr/ports/x11/gnome

In the process, I'm noticing a few things and was wondering "Why?"  Hopefully
somebody here will be able to answer my questions without flaming me
significantly, since I couldn't find anything in the archive.

1. Why did it build 'gtk-1.2.10' instead of 'gtk-1.3.4' for GNOME to link
   against?
2. Why is there even a x11-toolkits/gtk12 when we have a x11-toolkits/gtk13?
3. Why are some apps (GNOME, etc) linked against gtk12, while others against
   gtk13?  Is there a reason for this, or are we slowly migrating, or...?
   Wouldn't it make sense for them all to use the same library?

Just a few questions, sorry if it's offtopic or a repeat.  I just joined the
list and I didn't see this in the archives.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: 77042C7B
smkelly@zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org

For PGP key, send e-mail with subject "send pgp key"