Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 13:00:00 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Sean Kelly" <kelly@ad1440.net>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal re SGML style

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:36:05 PST, "Sean Kelly" wrote:

> Seriously, I haven't written for the FreeBSD project in some time, so
> whatever I say can't carry much weight.  However, just let me play
> advocatus diaboli for a moment.

Actually, I found your argument very compelling.  Thanks for taking the
time to give me the feedback.

I perceived my proposal as having two advantages; it would save work in
the creation of changes _and_ in the review of those changes.

Your argument basically suggests that the way I review changes is
flawed.  I got exactly the same comment from two others in private mail.
I agree with you.

This means that the actual value of the proposed style is not as great
as my initial perceived value.

So the unchallanged advantage of the proposal thus far is:

1) If whitespace changes are to remain separate from other changes,
   the proposed style will generally reduce the need for follow-up
   whitespace commits after other commits.

2) If whitespace changes may be mixed in with other changes, the
   proposed style only generally reduces the amount of reformatting
   required for paragraphs changed.

Do you agree that the proposed style would reduce in this way, the work
required to _create_ changes?  Whether or not the saving is enough
motivation to adopt this style is a different issue.  For now, I'm just
interested in hearing whether you think there's any merit in this at
all, in case I've completely missed the boat.

Ciao,
Sheldon.