Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 2002 12:47:00 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Scott Reber <shr@1244church.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup problem

Scott Reber wrote:

> I am trying to update the ports collection on a 4.2 box.
> (4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Fri Feb 16 18:10:23 EST 2001)
> I have downloaded the cvsup-16.1e package from
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jdp/s1g/ .
>
> I have done a 'pkg_add cvsup-16.1e'.  The dates on the binaries seem to
> indicate the package was successfully added as does pkg_info.
>
> ls -l /usr/local/bin/cvsup
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  873852 Sep 19  2001 /usr/local/bin/cvsup
> pkg_info | grep cvs
> cvsup-16.1e         A general network file distribution system optimized
> for CVS
>

> I when I run cvsup I still get:
>  cvsup -g -L 2 MIMAS_ports-supfile
> Parsing supfile "MIMAS_ports-supfile"
> Connecting to cvsup11.FreeBSD.org
> Connected to cvsup11.FreeBSD.org
> Protocol negotiation failed: See
> http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/s1g/ for upgrading
> information.
>
> What have I done wrong?

Probably nothing. If you try the telnet session like is done to see
which version that site is using, you will find the connection is
refused. Cvsup11 may be having problems and you should try one of the
other mirrors.

Cvsup-16.1e will not connect to a buggy host (pre 16.1d) and none of
the USA sites have that problem.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart