Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 19:48:17 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: KDE 3.1b compiles on 2.2.5, but it doesn't work

Jose M. Alcaide wrote:

> Then, I thought that the problem could be related to the creation
> of named UNIX sockets in the NFS-mounted filesystem, so I searched
> for any socket in the .kde directory built by KDE when started
> from the local disk, and I found two sockets at ~/.kde/share/apps/kfm,
> named "kfm_0.0" and "kio_0.0". However, these same files are created
> as **named pipes** (!?!) when KDE is started from the NFS-mounted
> home directory.

> In summary, I think that the KDE problem is related to the NFS-mounting
> of the user account, but my little program creates sockets in the
> remote filesystem, so I don't know what happens.

I think that I have reached the end of my KDE problem that began
this thread. The guilty is... the NFS server!!!!

We use as our main NFS server for user directories a SPARCserver
running Solaris 2.5.1. When an NFS request for creating a socket
comes from any NFS client, the server makes it with permissions
750 (this is OK) and the setuid bit set (I don't know why).
But after creating the sockets, KDE changes their modes to 666
(BTW, the number of the Beast :-) ); this implies that the client
requests a SETATTR NFS operation to the Solaris server. I have
found that this simple operation changes the file type from "socket"
to "pipe". This only happens in the Solaris server.
I have tested also an SGI IRIX NFS server and the mode change
works fine from any client.

In summary, my KDE problem has only two possible solutions:

  1. Sun fixes the Solaris' NFS server code.
  2. KDE is changed so that it creates the sockets in a local
     filesystem (such as /tmp).

ARRRRRGH!!!!

-- JM
Jose M. Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del Pais Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electronica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-4-4647700 x2624
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-4-4858139