Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 10:00:03 -0500
From:      FreeBSD Lists Archive <fbsdlist@dazed.slacker.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secure Shell

On 21-May-1999, Dan Langille wrote:
> Also, I've been told that ssh2 is not for most people and to only use
> ssh2 if someone tells you that you need it.  Shouldn't most people be
> using ssh not ssh2?  And why?

Although there are some weird quirks relating to ssh2 <--> ssh1
interoperability, it's nothing critical at all and mainly just mean that
you have to change some habits if you want things to go smoothly.

The reason you hear so much grumbling and complaint about ssh2 is not
due to technical considerations but is in fact because the license for
ssh2 is *significantly* more restricted than the ssh1 license which
limits many people from being able to legally deploy the product.

The old ssh1 license reads (in part):
    (b) You may use the program for non-commercial purposes only,
    meaning that the program must not be sold commercially as a
    separate product, as part of a bigger product or project, or
    otherwise used for financial gain without a separate license.
    Please see Section 2, Restrictions, for more details.
    Companies are permitted to use this program as long as it is not
    used for revenue-generating purposes. For example, an Internet
    service provider is allowed to install this program on their
    systems and permit clients to use SSH to connect; however,
    actively distributing SSH to clients for the purpose of providing
    added value requires separate licensing.

The new ssh2 license (ftp://ftp.cs.hut.fi/pub/ssh/LICENSING.SSH2)
modifies this last bit to the more restrictive:

    Uses not considered as NON-COMMERCIAL USE include, but are
    not limited to:

    a) any use where commercial activity is involved and where
    the use in any way, directly or indirectly, aims at monetary
    or other commercial benefit,

    b) any use that takes place in commercial, governmental,
    military, or similar organizations and where a salary or
    similar monetary compensation is paid, unless the use can be
    considered to be EDUCATIONAL USE or is purely for charity.

By barring deployment in commercial environments, they've pretty much
removed any chance of widespread acceptance when a free (and some
would argue, equally secure) alternative exists.