Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2007 03:30:00 +0100
From:      Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>, Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>, freebsd ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports 104877 causing big problems

--Signature=_Sat__10_Mar_2007_03_30_00_+0100_il3vcOV0nxawcJw0

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 17:56:52 -0800
Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Mar 09, 2007, at 17:30 , Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 17:05:31 -0800
> > Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >> 3. Ports that *are* affected by this issue (assuming the issue still
> >> exists) can be fixed in a more relaxed manner (eg: a conversion of
> >> GNU_CONFIGURE=YES to USE_AUTOTOOLS=configurehack [implying
> >> GNU_CONFIGURE=YES]) than a time-T switch.  It will also allow for
> >> such affected ports to have PORTREVISIONs bumped by the respective
> >> maintainers so as to more clearly identify improved operation to the
> >> consumers of those ports.
> >
> > All ports that use libtool to produce a program or shared library are
> > affected by this issue.
>
> This in turn implies that in case that there is an issue, and
> something needs to be done about it, then silently changing the
> semantics of GNU_CONFIGURE is not an appropriate solution.  In order
> for the change, should it be required, to be communicated to all the
> consumers of the FreeBSD ports tree, and not that subset that happens
> to read esoteric discussions on a high volume mailing list, this
> requires that we use the tools available to us, ie: bumping
> PORTREVISION.
>
> 1.  Identify if there is still a problem.

I told you there is one. You've been making a fool of yourself by
demonstrating that you do not understand the problem, and yet you
assume everything I say is wrong?

> 2a. If not, get on with something more productive.
> 2b. If yes, add a new stanza to USE_AUTOTOOLS, for simplicities sake
> we'll call it lthack, which defines GNU_CONFIGURE, and also wanders
> through the configuration files performing the appropriate hackery.
>
> 3.  Maintainers that have ports affected by the issue go in to the
> Makefile, chunk GNU_CONFIGURE, add USE_AUTOTOOLS= lthack, bump
> PORTREVISION, and move on to the next one.
>
> The semantics of GNU_CONFIGURE itself don't change, so no chance of
> unintended infra-structural breakdown, full-tree operations are not
> adversely impacted by needlessly including additional Mk/bsd.*.mk
> files, and the update is limited to those consumers of the new
> USE_AUTOTOOLS stanza, without touching bsd.port.mk, thus not
> requiring a full -exp run.  A rather more elegant solution than
> sledgehammer blows which, whilst occasionally needed, soak up huge
> amounts of resource, and are to be avoided if at all possible.

That's right, thousands of commits are more elegant, practical, and
faster than a single commit and a test run.

--
Jean-Yves Lefort

jylefort@FreeBSD.org
http://lefort.be.eu.org/