Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 17:14:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        XFree86@XFree86.Org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with Trio64V+ rev. 541 and XFree863.2/3.2.A

Hi,

I am having a problem in using the XFree86 (3.1.2, 3.2, 3.2.A) with
my new S3 card under FreeBSD. The card is recognised by the XF86_S3
server (3.2) as

    (--) S3: PCI: Trio32/64 rev 54, Linear FB @ 0xec000000
    (--) S3: chipset:   Trio64V+ rev. 541
    (--) S3: chipset driver: newmmio
    (--) S3: card type: PCI

but then I get the following two error messages:

    S3: Cannot read colourmap from VGA.  Will restore with default
    S3: Cannot read colourmap from VGA.  Will restore with default

and, when exiting X, the screen becomes totally black (although the
system is up and running, and I can restart X or do other commands at
will.

Other than that, X seems to work well and the image is pretty stable.

Any idea on what might be the problem, and how to fix it (maybe with
some option in XF86Config ?)

	Thanks
	Luigi Rizzo