Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 08:17:25 +0200
From:      Thomas Uhrfelt <thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se>
To:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SV: routing over Inet with FreeBSD 3.1R/S

> Thomas Uhrfelt wrote:
> >
> > I have a question about routing "homenets" via Internet, here comes
> > a description of my 'thought' out configuration.
> >
> > [C1:1-o] <---> [i-C1-o] <--Internet--> [o-C2-i] <---> [o-C2:1]
> >
> > C1 and C2 are routers/firewalls on completely different geographic
> > sites, C1:1 and C2:1 simulates workstations within the buildings
> > behind the firewall.
> >
> > -o      Outside interface
> > -i      Inside interface
> >
> > IPs
> > ---
> > C1:1-o  192.168.1.100
> > C1-i    192.168.1.1
> > C1-o    36.100.100.1 (public IP)
> > C2-o    37.100.100.1 (public IP)
> > C2-i    192.168.10.1
> > C2:1-o  192.168.10.100
> >
> > With these routing tables will a packet from C1:1 be able to use
> > for
> > example
> > telnet 192.168.10.100 to address the computer C2:1 directly, as in
> > will the packet be routed through the net correctly?
>
> No, you're not allowed to place 192.168.x.x addresses on the public
> internet, that's why they're called PRIVATE addresses.  If you make
> your routers do Network Address Translation you can accomplish
> this, depending on the size of the two private networks.

I am performing NAT, but my problem is that I need to be able to
address some of the "inside" computers on the C2 net directly without
having a public IP, how can I accomplish that? I do know that 192
addresses are private, but since I route them directly to my other
private network that shouldnt pose a problem or?

/ Thomas