Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2012 10:24:16 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        wblock@wonkity.com
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, gabor@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Tidy and HTML tab spacing

----Security_Multipart(Wed_Jan_25_10_24_16_2012_500)--

Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote
  in <alpine.BSF.2.00.1201211648030.72083@wonkity.com>:

wb> On Sun, 22 Jan 2012, Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
wb>
wb> > On 2012.01.18. 23:49, Warren Block wrote:
wb> >> 5. Don't tidy HTML files at all (suggested as an option by Benedict
wb> >>    Reuschling).  The unprocessed HTML is ugly, but few people are going
wb> >>    to look at it directly.  Files that haven't been through tidy are a
wb> >>    little larger, about 4% in the case of the Porter's Handbook.
wb> > I also think tidy should be removed. As hrs wrote, new standards
wb> > should be evaluated and probably they are much better. (I think they
wb> > are.) If there are some nits, then we should process it with a custom
wb> > script or something, instead of this crapware.
wb>
wb> Tidy does a lot; it would be a lot of work to recreate.
wb>
wb> There's a default choice I didn't mention earlier:
wb>
wb> 0.  Leave it alone.
wb>
wb> (Maybe this will all change with the DocBook XML changeover.  I don't
wb> know when that is supposed to happen, but if it's not too long, this
wb> could be the right way to go.)
wb>
wb> Finally, there's one last choice:
wb>
wb> 6. A pretty good case could be made for using &#09; instead of tabs in
wb>    the source <programlisting> blocks.  The more I think about it, the
wb>    more technically-correct that seems.  In that case, tidy should be
wb>    fine as it is now.

 Hmm, I suggest to disable tab expansion or do &#09; replacement in
 Tidy based on your patch for the meantime.  One thing I concerned
 about is how &#09; outside elements like <pre> works.  If it is
 harmless in major www browsers (this should be treated as a
 whitespace) and it can mitigate the issue, I think there is no
 problem with it.

 I agree with migrating our documents to newer XML standards will
 solve this in more consistent manner as Gabor said.  I said it (and
 SVN repo migration) would happen within last October but I could not
 handle that nicely.  Sorry for that, but it is now in progress.  I
 believe Tidy can be removed after that.

-- Hiroki