Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:09:24 -0300
From:      "Nicolas Gieczewski" <nicolas@nixsoftware.com>
To:        "Richard Shea" <freebsdQ0@richardshea.fastmail.fm>, <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Removing JDK completely ?

I was getting those too, more specifically signals 9, 10 and 11. These =
are often due to faulty memory or hardware. I used to get these signals =
when compiling big stuff on my older box, which turned out to have =
faulty RAM. You can also get them when your CPU is overclocked and =
unstable. I was getting these signals at random stages during my build =
of the JDK 1.4, and I tracked down the problem to Ultra DMA being =
enabled for my hard drive. It seems the old IDE controller on this old =
motherboard didn't like UDMA, as per syslog (which I found out much =
later, after trying all sorts of stuff). Reverting the hard drive to =
WDMA2 fixed the problem.

By the way, have you tried compiling the kernel? This is often a good =
way to check your system's stability. If you get these signals there as =
well, it's extremely likely that the culprit is your hardware.

Hope this helps you in some way.

Nicolas Gieczewski
Nix Software Solutions
http://www.nixsoftware.com/