Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2002 23:13:50 +0200
From:      Clement Laforet <sheepkiller@cultdeadsheep.org>
To:        qa@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   4.7-RC1 report

Hi,

Here's a fast and small RC1 report.

Machine :
Proc : PIII 700
RAM : 296MB
HD : Seagate 12GB (Secundary slave)
2 Realteck-like Network Cards
SoundBlaster Live! Value Sound Card

Installation :
aac.ko loading failed (okay.. everybody knows it ;))

When I creat a slice, I wasn't able create partition without rebooting.

I chose Developper distribution with ports.
(1GB slice , 256MB swap disk, space left (753MB) dedicated to /)

I kept newfs default options, during ports install I got :
/mnt: (something like) Create symlink : no inodes free

16384 bytes as default block size seems to penalize "light" installs.

So...
Let's rock ! (one more time)
This time I used "all entire disk" and 2GB for / and 512MB for swap.
Slice Creation : OK
Partitions creation : failed
Reboot :)
WasOK :)
Same distribution
7mn later, Configure time :)
No problems :)

1st boot : ok.
Testing Generic kernel...
CPU performances look good.

Network testing (FTP)
rl0:

To test I download from my main server (4.6-STABLE 4th July) a
sourcemage ISO image (280MB) five times
	Download (FTP) : 4,5/5 MB/s

I did the same on another computer (PII300) running 4.6-STABLE from 27th
june.
	Download (FTP) : 5,5/6 MB/s
And on my laptop (PIII500) under -CURRENT (24th August):
	Download (FTP) : 7/7,5 MB/s

Upload (FTP as server): 3,5/4 MB/s

I used to have about 9 MB/s with 4.5-STABLE.

I hope it'll be useful :)

Compiling custom kernel was OK.
No problem for the moment... but network performances are the same.

bye

Clem

PS : I tried to install 4.7RC1 on another machine, after first boot,
kernel couldn't find root device, "/" entry wasn't in /etc/fstab.