Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2001 20:45:52 -0500
From:      Drew Linsalata <dlinsalata@mac.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ad0 problems using 4.0-RELEASE

Hi folks,

Odd problem with 4.0-RELEASE (from the Walnut Creek CD-ROM distribution) and
multiple IDE drives (ad0 and ad3).

I have a fully functional system running on ad3, boots like a charm, no
problems at all.  I would like to use ad0 (ATA0-master detected at boot
time) as well, but sysinstall keeps giving me either "device not configured"
or "invalid argument" errors when I go through fdisk and disk labeling for
the ad0 drive.

I have removed all ad0* devices and used MAKEDEV to re-make them, including
the specific slice that sysinstall is trying to mount (ad0s1e).  No luck.

Has anyone seen this problem before?  I'm stumped!

The disk layout on the system is:

primary master: WD 15GB UDMA-66
primary slave: none
secondary master: CD-ROM
secondary slave: WD 15GB UDMA-66 (system installed here)

Drew Linsalata
The Gotham Bus Company
High Availability Internet Server Colocation Solutions
http://www.gothambus.com