Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:06:13 -0700
From:      walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   (Bad) problem with portupgrade openoffice in -CURRENT

Portupgrade offered to upgrade OO to 1.0.1_4 so I said OK.

The compile finished (with no errors) in the usual 12 hours
or so and then went thru the install part, and it's a *very*
lucky thing I happened to be watching at that moment.

It deleted the old installation and then did the new install
in about 15 seconds (which I know from experience is WRONG)
and had just flashed "Cleaning for openoffice" on the screen
when I hit Ctrl-C and stopped a disaster.  Whew!

The short version of the story is that the "ugly hack to
avoid opening a display" doesn't work for some reason on
my machine.  It claims to install but leaves nothing in
the /usr/local/OpenOffice/program directory!

It did work the last time I compiled OO about 3 months ago,
and the install worked correctly then, but not now.

Now I cd to /usr/ports/editors/openoffice and "make reinstall"
which prints an error message after the "Ugly hack" message and
then goes on to repeat the bogus install in about 15 seconds.
Still *nothing* in the /usr/local/OO/program directory.

Next I did an "export DISPLAY=:0" and then a "make reinstall"
which this time worked properly, and took the usual 2-3 minutes
or so.  The new OO seems to be working just fine, but it was
just pure luck that the whole thing didn't delete my old
installation and then do a "make clean."  I wouldn't have
had any clue what went wrong!

Anyone else seen this?