Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 14:08:57 +1000
From:      Eddie Irvine <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>
To:        Keith Woodman <keith@lightningweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confusion

Keith Woodman wrote:

>         After following the discussion regarding the releases of product.
> I am left <as a consumer>, wondering what is considered a sound product to
> install on a machine. The frequency of CD releases leaves me wondering.
> "well what was wrong in the last version they said was the next
> kewlest thing".

I installed the 3.0 CD as well, and keeping current caused me a lot more
work
than I imagined.

HOWEVER, I remember that, at the time, the offical STABLE release was
2.8,
and there were copious warnings all over the place that 3.0 was very
much
a work in progress.

Now that the 3.1 CD is shipping, the dust has settled quite a bit.

FreeBSD is permanently a "work in progress". If you are wondering what
CD to buy next, you may be missing out on one of the big strengths
of FreeBSD over, say, Red Hat: The ability to keep your machine in sync
with the latest STABLE code. You can't really do this by buying CD's -
as
soon as a CD is released, parts of it are out of date in a few hours or
so.

Of course, the CD's don't just contain the OS, they also contain the
latest
versions of ported applications. (The latter is really the only reason I
subscribe to the CD distribution).

You need to learn about "cvsup" and "make world" and "compiling a custom
kernel". It's worth doing, although a little intimidating to begin with.

You don't have to be a kernel hacker (at all), but for end users (like
me)
it is a little easier if you purchase Greg Lehey's "The Complete
FreeBSD" text.

Eddie.