Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:19:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      The Utz Family <utz@serv.net>
To:        Antonio Carlos Venancio Junior <floripa@zoing.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CMI 8738

hi;

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Antonio Carlos Venancio Junior wrote:

> People,
>

>         Anyone here have a FreeBSD-4.x-STABLE with an onboard sound board with
> a CMI8738 chip?

CMedia PCI onboard chipset. My box at home has the CMI8330 which is an isa
onboard chipset.

>         FreeBSD detects it in boot time, but as on unknown board.
>         Any clue? =)

i *thought* that someperson had submitted a patch for one of the CMedia
PCI versions, but i suspect it was the other PCI version, which is the one
that is between yours and mine.

if you are up for a little kernel hacking, you can get newpcm to recognize
it as the older chip, *but* that doesnt actually mean that it would work.
:-(

that's how i got my sound to work, i just had the kernel treat it as an
AD1848 which is the original MSS codec. I was missing a lotta
functionality that way, but at least i get sound...

the other question that comes to mind, your not just using the GENERIC
kernel, right? I dont think that it has pcm built into it, but i could be
wrong....