Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 17:04:06 +0000
From:      George Cox <gjvc@gjvc.com>
To:        jason sonic <sonic_jtx@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help

On 16/02 22:16, jason sonic wrote:

> I am new to learning freeBSD.  I actually have not even made it past the
> installation program.

Ah hah!  A live one!

> I can enter it and get to the part where you make a freeBSD partition.

Right.  Hold on here -- we must make a clear distinction between partitions
and slices.  A DOS partition table can hold 4 primary partitions.  One of
those may currently contain your DOS/Windows setup.

We are going to be installing FreeBSD into another of those four
partitions.  All FreeBSD-related stuff (both filesystems and swap space)
will go into this single partition.

The only thing is, in the FreeBSD world, those DOS-style partitions are
known 'slices'.  You use the fdisk style partition editor in sysinstall --
the brightly coloured thing you're using now to create a DOS-style
partition big enough to hold ALL your FreeBSD stuff.

Got it?

> When I make it, it has no room.  It is a zero meg slice.  I can't figure
> it out.

Well, how much free space do you have on your hard disc?  If your Windows
setup covers the entire disc, you will need to compress the data in that
partition to the beginning, and use something like FIPS or Partition Magic
to shrink it, thus creating the space to need for a new FreeBSD partition.

> I am sure I will have further questions after I begin to use it, but for
> now, could you just give me a couple hints on the install part.  when I
> finish, it says that no root partition was made...something like
> that...and there was not one for swap.  what does that mean?

Make sure you create a swap partition in the FreeBSD partition editor.
Remember, all FreeBSD partitions go into one single DOS-style partition
('slice')

> how do I begin to use my x-windows?

You mean the 'X window system', or more conventionally, just 'X'.  Don't
worry about that for now :-)

> well.  thank you for your time.  sincerely, jason(s0n1c)

gjvc

--
[gjvc]
<gjvc@gjvc.com>