Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 23:50:58 +0100
From:      Pieter Westland <pieterw@euronet.nl>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hanging tty's

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 05:11:07PM +0000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> > On a 3.3-RELEASE machine, I have two hanging tty's, ttyv0 and ttyv1.
> > The screen is blank, when trying to input something to it, nothing
> > happens. watch -W also gives no result.
> > A ps axl gives:
> >     0 72794     1 255 -14 -4     0    0 ckvnlk D<Es  v0    0:00.00 (login)
> >     0 96855     1 255   4 -4   956  360 ttywai I<Es+  v1-   0:00.00 (login)
> > I tried to do a kill -1 1, to disable these tty's from /etc/ttys , to
> > start a  /usr/libexec/getty Pc ttyv1  manually, but all without result.
> > Anyone having an idea?
>
> I might be way out, but do those terminals have scroll lock on? I just
> tried this, and it seems if you go to ttyv1, press scroll lock, and
> kill the getty on that terminal, I got similar information from ps that
> you do. (definately had "E" in the status flags and it was blocked in
> ttywai.) If this explains either, it is more likely the one blocked
> in ttywai, I've got no idea what ckvnlk is (it seems to come from
> sys/miscfs/deadfs, but that doesn't mean much to me).

Excuse me for the late reply, please.
Indeed, on ttyv1 was scroll-lock on. Pushing it one time and pushing
'enter' solved the problem. Thanks for your answer, Ben!

On ttyv0, I still see this:

root   72794  0.0  0.0     0    0  v0  D<Es -         0:00.00  (login)

sys/miscfs/deadfs/dead_vnops.c says it has something to do with with a
vnode wich is in a state of change.
I have no idea how to fix this, but I suppose the hanging tty will be
gone after a reboot, and hey, I still have 9 ttyv's left :)

Pieter