Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:40:24 +1000
From:      Murray Taylor <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@dcfinc.com>
Cc:        Murray Taylor <taylorm@bytecraft.au.com>
Subject:   Re: Paring down a FreeBSD system for flash drive use ?

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 12:09, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 09:04:28PM -0700, Joe Schmoe wrote:
> >
> > Murray Taylor <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com> wrote:
> > Google for minibsd
> >
> > http://neon1.net/misc/minibsd.html
> >
> > I have used miniBSD as a firewall box on an Advantech WEB-2143
> > quite successfully
>
> Another thing to consider is that the FreeBSD 4.x kernel is quite a
> bit bigger than in the old days.  Bloat seems like entropy,
> inevitable without constant care.  Since most embedded systems are
> not going to need SMP, nor the advanced virtual memory systems (no
> disk--no swap), you might rather build your system starting with
> perhaps a 2.2.8 system.
>
> 	-crl

FWIW
Im using FreeBSD 4.7 in a 32MB Compact Flash card ...

df -h  says I'm using 47% of the CF card...

mjt

--
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.

This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.