Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:59:02 -0800
From:      "Cybertime Hostmaster" <hostmaster@cybertime.net>
To:        <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Making less

I use FreeBSD for very little.  For the few things I do, binary installs
work fine, and have given me absolutely no issues.

I now want to do a little more, specifically some imbedded device stuff on
a Soekris 4521.

The FAQs I have found so far all talk about compiling everything and
removing what I do not need, or using PicoBSD.  Neither of these solutions
will work for me.

I have a Mini PCI a/b/g WiFi card that uses the Atheros chipset, which
requires the CURRENT tree for driver support. . . . the things I learned
AFTER buying things are a little more than I expected.

What I have tried so far is doing a 5.c CURRENT build on a text box, and I
intend to do the PXE boot from that box.  In fact, when I was trying to
get 4.9 to work, I did boot off of PXE just fine.  I just did not have
support for my Mini PCI card.

When I did a buildworld on my testing box, I ran out of hard drive space.
It has 2 GB, which should be HUGE is comparison to the CF this will
eventually live on.

What I have been looking for is a way to download and build less.

Now, when I do a binary install on a regular system, I have the option of
putting in base, compatibity (1x to 4x), crypto, dict, doc, games, info,
man, catman, profiles, src, ports, local, perl, and xfree.

When I look at the source tree it has base, contrib, gnu, etc, games,
include, lib, libexec, release, bin, sbin, scrypto, share, skerb5,
ssecure, sys, tools, ubin, and usbin.

This has left me at a loss.

Since the choices are not the same, how do I compile just a minimal
install?  Obviously someone, somewhere has a list of what goes where, or
there would be no such thing as a minimal install.

Does anyone have a link to a FAQ/DOC/README/MAN that lists this
information?  If one exists, I have missed it in the last few weeks of
looking.

--Eric