Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 2015 10:16:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
To:        Da Rock <freebsd-fs@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Delete a directory, crash the system
References:  <CAHAXwYDPMrdY-TP-5T1_6M_ot4gY09jo2_Wi_REOmE=%2Bu%2B_QuQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAGwOe2byRc4LVsyxvTJgxNGCbhvOEaeDXjmFJ7DoXThPQe1bcQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAHAXwYCj9AV8ZcDffNNGx-ivL=h_TK9zLQRTPknArX25HSfEag@mail.gmail.com> <CAGwOe2YCDRqHudovDB_Kz9WHppvB8v2L%2B0gkDnWgG88bgZTKSA@mail.gmail.com> <CAHAXwYCnRDQqgRcvaEE1BmSJYYOidoQzzUoHX_QWdyJzYO3kKw@mail.gmail.com> <551007DD.5020109@herveybayaustralia.com.au> <alpine.GSO.1.10.1503231049050.22210@multics.mit.edu> <5510B995.8060307@herveybayaustralia.com.au>

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, Da Rock wrote:

> Unfortunately, fsck isn't helping - foreground or otherwise. All it shows on
> every single fs is inode 4 recovery which doesn't sound quite right. And

Have you posted the exact output in a previous message (could you send a
link)?

> again, it is only showing during updates to ports being built. I'm

Er, what is only showing up?  The panics?
Surely you are not only running fsck while building ports...

> investigating further, but it may be just a corrupt file in pkg system.
>
> Incidentally, I'm not suggesting an absolute fix for the issue as such, but a
> better means of handling it rather than crashing the system. The posts on this

Understood.  But, there will always be some types of error which are truly
unrecoverable, and there is no real option other than to panic.  (Which is
not to say that your situation is necessarily one of them.)

> If I discover anything more I'll keep everyone posted :)

Thanks,

Ben