Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 10:07:09 -0500
From:      FreeBSD Lists Archive <fbsdlist@dazed.slacker.com>
To:        Matthew Botos <mlb27@cornell.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Star Office 5.1 only launches setup

On 21-May-1999, Matthew Botos wrote:
> I installed StarOffice 5.1, added it's bin directory to my path and ran
> soffice, but it only pops up a setup dialog offering to modify,
> deinstall, or repair.  I can't get it to run any of the actual
> programs!  Has anyone else experienced this with 5.1 or previous
> versions?

Yes, I ran into this exact same situation.  It's the result of the
installation program failing to create a specific configuration
file in your home directory.

Just as an aside, I found the "Staroffice 5 Installation" howto on
freebsdrocks to be invaluable in getting through the installation
process.  Thought this was an appropriate venue to mention a great
resource.  (http://www.freebsdrocks.com/p-howto.php3)

Manually creating ~/.sversionrc and putting the following two lines in it
eliminated this problem:

  [Versions]
  StarOffice 5.1=/usr/local/Office51

Obviously, adjust the above path to match where you installed so5.1