Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 07:58:18 GMT
From:      lnealan@snafuinc.com (Lucas Nealan)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FTPD command/response mismatch

Hello,

I finally got natd/ipfw down to discover an interesting ftp problem. I =
have
accessed it from multiple systems and everything works fine from a =
windows
box using cuteftp, ftpvoyager, and ftp. Now from a freebsd box and a
linuxppc I get some strange stuff..

=46irst when logging in I do not get a password prompt. Here's an =
example:

Connected to bitch.somewhere.com.

Name (bitch:screen):=20
Welcome.
ftp: Login failed.
ftp>=20

The welcome is coming from my banners entry in hosts.allow.  Now I =
believe
that this symptom is attributed to another problem which is that my
command
but on subsequent commands.. Take a look at this once I manage to get in:

ftp> ls
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
ftp> ls
226 Transfer complete.
200 PORT command successful.
ftp> ls
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
ftp> ls
226 Transfer complete.
200 PORT command successful.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
total 577
drwxr-xr-x  3 screen  1000      512 Sep  2 09:22 .file
...more files in here...
226 Transfer complete.
ftp>=20

Has anyone ever seen anything like this!? =20

Thanks!

Lucas
Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand
things that won't work   - Thomas Alva Edison