Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 12:09:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status Report on 2.2.6 Giveaway CD's

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Brett Glass wrote:

>I was debating asking for some of the 2.2.6 giveaway CDs, but opted
>not to do so. Why? Because that release had some security problems
>that could actually sour some folks on FreeBSD. We were rooted as
>a result of one of them.

Software had security problems? Go figure. That is like saying you
shouldn't distribute software because it has bugs.

Tell me what operating system exists that can't get rooted. Hell, even MS
claims to be secure. (C2 was it?) Every damn system that is running
sendmail is a target. Moreover, every system is a target.

No one is going to be soured on FreeBSD because of bugs, security, or a
general lack of quality.

Risk assessment is the keyword. There is no such animal as _no_ risk.
FreeBSD is very low risk.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/