Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2013 00:01:07 -0600
From:      Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Cc:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Christoph Mallon <christoph.mallon@gmx.de>, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Unify printing the function name in panic messages()

> I have having difficulty understanding the resistance to bringing
> consistency to something that badly lacks it now. Along with the
> ability to get rid of the extra space when needed or to add to it
> when desired. The arguement that it is crap, but who cares because
> we can work around it when we have someone offering to do the not
> insignificant work to clean it up seems out of character with our
> vision of a clean code base.

I'm not arguing against consistency, nor even agaist the proposal itself
(as modified for a lower-case panic macro).  However,  I don't think the
lack of consistency is the real problem.  "panic: watchdog timeout" tells
me what I need to know, whether or not it includes "watchdog_fire" or the
line number.  The only problem that has been pointed out is lack of
uniqueness.  That is a simpler problem to handle, and isn't handled by
the current proposal as I understand it.

		Mike