Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:27:16 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        "Potts, Ross" <rpotts@harris.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adding man pages?

> from the CL, how can I make available the manpages that AMANDA (the
> backup program) makes available all the time?

Edit /etc/manpath.config.  This will make the man pages available for
'man whatever'.  If you want the pages to figure into apropos/whatis
searches, do

  # sh /etc/periodic/weekly/320.whatis

after you edit the config file, or wait till the end of the week... :)
See manpath(1) for more information.

> Where does nroff figure into this?

nroff is the formatter that takes the man pages (which are written in
a macro language which nroff understands) and formats them for viewing
on your console.  Do

  # gzip -dc /usr/share/man/man1/man.1.gz | nroff -man | less

to see what I mean.

Lucas