Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 08:26:46 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Rashid Karimov <rashid@rk.ios.com>
Cc:        techadm@elvisti.kiev.ua, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS P6/Pro MB and P6-200

>	After jkh@ posted here about his intentions to get
>	latest ASUS  Ppro motherboard and 200Mhz CPU I decided
>	to get one here too  and well, here it is now :)
>
>	Runs just fantastic ! - in full accordance with expectations,
>	but the problem is I can't find 200 Mhz CPU.
>	The motherboard is shipped from ASUS with 150Mhz CPU and it's
>	not clear who carries the 200Mhz one ?
>
>	Any suggestions ? I tried to call INtel - but its impossible
>	even to find the phone number  to call :( Dunno if they sell it in
>	such small quantities.

   I may have already answered this question...
   It was me that Jordan was refering to regarding getting a P6 system. The
150Mhz part is escentially the only one that is available from Intel at this
time. Only a very small number of 200Mhz parts have shipped, and they went to
just a couple of large (PC) distributors. It is likely that 200Mhz parts will
continue to be scarce until at least February '96.
   The biggest problem with the ASUS P6 motherboard is the poor PCI
performance. DMA writes to memory are very slow because the PCI write buffer
is disabled. It's disabled to work around a bug in the Intel Orion chipset
that causes the data to get corrupted if it is enabled. With it disabled, the
top performance of PCI DMA writes to memory is about 4.4MB/sec. This is too
slow for fast (100Mbit) ethernet, for example, and causes half of the packets
to get dropped.

-DG