Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 18:41:22 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Ariel Burbaickij" <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Will loses really be covered

>Just wondering,will any insurance company be ready to close an insurance
>agreement covering any computers related risks in production enviroment
>premissed the OS running is FreeBSD?Or somehow other formuzlated:
>can I insurance any computer used in production enviroment  in case I use
>FreeBSD?I am interested not in theoretical possibilty of such agreement
>but rather in experinece of others made with this matter.

Your best bet is to call your insurance agent. But I'd be willing to bet the
answer is "No."

Here's what the FreeBSD copyright statement has to say about risk:

    THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS
    ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT
    NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT
    SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT,
    INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
    DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
    SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS;
    OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY
    OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
    (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF
    THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
    SUCH DAMAGE.

Most (if not all) software license agreements contain such clauses (which
are recognized liability disclaimers under the Uniform Commercial Code). The
risk is assumed soley by you.

But I'd snap up any affordable policy, if your insurer is willing to accept
the risk!

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!