Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 10:59:02 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@AUSS2.ALCATEL.COM.AU>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCPDUMP

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 22:44:27 +0200, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
>Why is DLT_NULL wrong? ...
>
>What we'd like to have, is a two byte field - basically the standard
>Ethernet type, minus source and destination addresses. This needs to be
>done in cooperation with the tcpdump maintainers, of course.

I had a similar problem with LPIP and wrote a set of patches to
tcpdump and libpcap to support a 2-byte header.  They're in my PR
bin/7241.

Bill Fenner <fenner@freebsd.org> solved the same problem by modifying
LPIP to use 4-byte headers (his code is also in the above PR, but
needs to have 'ifp' changed to '&sc->sc_if' in two places to work -
the compiler will point out the places).

Overall, I think Bill's approach is probably the correct one.

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Alcatel Australia Limited