Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:05:26 +0100 (CET)
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        brde@optusnet.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: igb watchdog timeouts

> > I have a couple of servers with Broadcom (bge) GigE interfaces. These
> > servers became completely unresponsive/unusable at high network traffic
> > (presumably due to the interrupt processing) but were able to handle the
> > same traffic with no problems after switching to polling. This was in
> > the 7.0 timeframe.
> >
> > I still have the same servers/interfaces running with polling, but now
> > at 7.3.
>
> I had the opposite experience with a Broadcom 5701 (old but not low-end
> bge for PCI-X on PCI-33).
> OTOH, with a Broadcon 5705+ (not so old but low-end bge for PCI-33),
> interrupt moderation (host coelescing in bge-speak) is broken.  It
> interrupts immediately (?) once per packet despite accepting the
> programming to interrupt once per many packets or after many microseconds.
> This results in about 1/6 of the performance of the 5701 (1/3 of the
> performance to saturate twice as many CPUs).  Polling might help, but
> I tried it even less on this NIC than the other.

In my case this is Broadcom BCM5721:

bge0@pci0:4:0:0:        class=0x020000 card=0x01b61028 chip=0x165914e4 rev=0x11 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Broadcom Corporation'
    device     = 'NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (BCM5721)'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

I have no idea whether there are known bugs in interrupt moderation for
this controller. The change in behavior when switching from interrupts
to polling was extremely noticeable.