Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:56:41 +1000 (EST)
From:      Anthony Hill <ahill@interconnect.com.au>
To:        Francisco Reyes <reyes01@ibm.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Sync and Reboot question.

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> At work many times when I do a "reboot" the computer does a Sync and
> after the "done" prompt is diplayed the computer freezes and doesn't
> reboot. Is it ok to reset the computer after the sync reports it's
> done?

Yes, you wont lose any data after doing a sync, although the FS may still
be left in a strange state. FreeBSD has had this problem as long as I
have been using it (a couple of years). People keep blaming it on
"faulty" BIOS's, however after seeing the problem on three different
computers with three different BIOS's which were in all other aspects fine,
I am forming the opinion that it is just one of the nastier features of
FreeBSD.

				Regards,
				Anthony