Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 2008 10:57:12 +0100
From:      Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
To:        Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: error compiling kernel

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 12:24:48AM -0700, Dino Vliet wrote:

> --- On Mon, 9/29/08, Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 11:09:01PM -0700, Dino Vliet wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > In an effort to compile a new kernel on my amd64 system running
> > freebsd 6.3 I get the following error message after the make
> > buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL step.
> >
> > The error I get is:
> >
> > /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/udbp.c: 426: undefined reference to
> 'ng_parse_int32_type' udbp.o (.rodata +
> 0xc0):/usr/src/sys/dev/usb/udbp.c: 438: undefined reference to
> 'ng_parse_int32_type'
> >
> > *** Error code 1
> > Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL
> > *** Error code 1
> > Stop in /usr/src
> > *** Error code 1
> > Stop in /usr/src
> >
> > My kernel configuration called MYKERNEL looks like this:
> >
> > #
> > # GENERIC -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/amd64
> > #
> <snip>
> >
> > options 	SCHED_ULE		# ULE scheduler
> > #options 	SCHED_4BSD		# 4BSD scheduler
>
> <snip>
>
> > What is causing this error?
> >
> > Brgds
> > Dino
> > device		fwe		# Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)
>
> Dino,
>
> I don't know if it's possibly related but IIRC the SCHED_ULE scheduler
> is deprecated for use in 6.* (I stand to be corrected!:) although I
> believe it works with 7.*
>
> So I suggest trying SCHED_4BSD and see if that works better.
>
> As to the specific error, it looks like you might need:
>
> options NETGRAPH
>
> in your kernel conf. See: netgraph(4)
>
> You might also want to use the tag: RELENG_6_4 for your source
> supfile. I'm pretty sure there is a 6.4 branch now the BETA has come
> out.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
>
>  Frank
>
> Hi Frank,
>
> It worked!

Excellent!

> Thanks for the tips. I've reenabled sched_bsd and added
> options NETGRAPH. The latter is strange though, because I managed
> to compile the p1 kernel in the past without it, so why would that
> fail now?

Not too sure but there must be something in your kernel conf that
requires netgraph (I don't use it).

To be on the safe side, it's always best to compile GENERIC unless
you're trying to screw the last drop of performance from your machine.

> Anyway, it worked so I can look at my other problems now.
> This machine was disconnected from the internet a few months so I
> had a very long package list that needed to be updated.

Take a good look at /usr/ports/UPDATING and work on updating the
ports/packages mentioned in there.

Then hit the ports with lots of dependencies with portupgrade. E.g:

# portupgrade -vrR firefox

(Assuming you're using it as a workstation & like Firefox).

Then I'd use the -a flag for portupgrade to hit the rest of the
ports/packages.

Use the -P flag if you want packages.

> Thanks for your reply!

No worries :) Glad to be of help.